Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day 18 Service



The gift of service is something that has been a part of my life since I was old enough to help anywhere.  I taught Sunday school and helped with our hometown fair.  I joined a rural youth organization called Junior Farmers and did so many service projects to better the community and the world.  I ran music programs at Vacation Bible school, I coached sports teams in schools, I am a member of our local Kinette club…I could go on and on but the point is that service has always been a part of my life.  But it has never meant to me what it does now, has never been a focal point of my life like it is now.  I have to admit though, it isn’t all of the world of ‘service’ that does this for me.  Instead it is the service I do for those in the world of TTTS and even more so in the work our family does to raise money for Mt. Sinai Hospital in honour of our boys. 

We left Mt. Sinai on December 14, 2008 saying that we would do what we could to give back to this place that had done so much for us and that we would do what we could to help other families that had gone through what we had.  It took us 18 months to host our first event…I think we needed to heal and find some closure first.   We have now held three fundraising events and done tons of things to raise money… dances, silent auctions, raffles, bake sales, mom to mom shows, movie nights, bbq’s and a 5 K run.  This year our event raised $3610….


While we were at Mt. Sinai last week we spoke to the special events co-ordinator and asked her to give us a grand total of what had been brought in to the foundation on our behalf…. Initially I was thinking the amount that we had raised in our fundraisers…which at this point, appears to be around $11 000.  But what we discovered was that people have been donating on our behalf, in honour of our boys above and beyond what we knew.  The grand total that Mt. Sinai has on record for us donating is…. $14 121!!!! 
We are amazed and we are so happy that we can give this gift of service to a place that gave us the gifts of hope and life!

 Just thought I would share some other photos of the day here....

Checking out the result of Cameron's latest 'wild moment'... a 3 inch gash that was 'glued' back together again...and then comparing it to his hero's scars LOL....







 We made a gift for Dr. Ryan this year...
 I wish I had thought to take pictures of them ahead before I wrapped them ...


But I have a picture of what is inside the ball..
What a great day it was... what a wonderful man he is... Cameron just adores him....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment