Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Love is life

Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.
Leo Buscaglia


I wonder how many people in the world haven’t figured this out…that in order to have life, in order to really enjoy and appreciate your life, in order to truly live then you need love.
I sometimes marvel at those people who work 12+ hour days 6 days a week or those who work for 10 and take 8 hours of work home with them. They spend their time busy with life but they miss out on time with people, time with love. There are many people who spend time with family and friends but are still missing out because they are so busy running, going to sports, dance, clubs, groups and even in religion or at church that they miss out on love. They don’t see the child who wants only to be with them, to have their attention and affection. They don’t see the friends and family that would be so very happy with just a few hours of uninterrupted time doing nothing but talking and laughing. They miss the smiles of others when they do something for someone else because they are so busy looking ahead to the next thing they need to do.
Life is love and love is life… the two go together. You can’t survive life without love.
I look at my own life and marvel and where I sought love and what I thought my life needed, the love it needed, the way that love needed to be expressed. I really had no clue about unconditional love. I felt like I didn’t measure up in so many ways and so I did what I could to find love…not to let love find me. I think I was attracted to people who I thought needed love like I did…and therefore would need me.
Needing does not equal love, needing does not make life. I did many foolish things while trying to find my life. I regret so many of them now but I also know that it was part of a journey too. I missed so much life because I was so caught up in always being ‘with’ someone, in seeking that perfect someone who would love me, need me. I couldn’t see that the love I sought was always there. He never stopped loving me and had I just realized that so many around me loved me as well, even if they weren’t always the opposite sex, even they weren’t loving me in a romantic relationship, I would have had so much better a life, better a love.
I now realize how much love it really takes to make life…. Not a lot and yet an enormous amount. It doesn’t take many people who love you to make your life, it doesn’t take huge gestures of love and it certainly doesn’t take sacrificing that risks your very being. It simply takes giving of yourself for the purpose of making another happy with no expectation of a return.
I don’t want to miss any more of my life by missing love. I have found the most amazing love in the Lord and from there, in so many other places. I am so grateful for the life I have, for the love I have and that has me.

No comments:

Post a Comment