Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Happy Birthday my little men!

Wow...where has time gone?  Four years ago right about now I was full of anxiety and tears....so much bittersweet emotion as I prepared to welcome Cameron into this world after a long anticipated arrival while at the same time I prepared to say hello and goodbye to Cole. 
I marvel at where 4 years has brought me.  I have done a lot of looking back over this blog in the last few months as I explore grief and share my findings and thoughts with others on my other blog.  I have come so far and yet the core of me, the real Jodie inside the facade that becomes my outer shell some days, has not truly changed much at all.  (incidentally the outer shell has changed alot... 4 years ago I was pregnant and VERY overweight...now I am a newer, smaller, more dynamo me LOL)
Today I posted this picture that two friends helped me put together....
And I have had a few people send me hugs on what they say must be a bittersweet day.  It got me to thinking about how I feel about this day and about the message in the picture above.
Today is a day to celebrate my miracles...and they both are miracles in so many ways.  Inside my body a miracle was created...what a cool thought.  All children are miracles....inside every woman's body miracles are created when pregnancy begins.  Twinning is just that much more miraculous... especially when it involves the splitting of an egg into two or more babies.  It's almost hard for to comprehend, even now 4.5 years after it happened.  That an egg can split into two identical beings... absolutely amazing.
The miracles that occured inside of my body during the 32 weeks I carried my twin sons amaze me still.  TTTS is not a miracle in my opinion...miracles are positive things and TTTS, in and of itself, is by no means positive.  The fact that it happens in only 15% of mono di twins is a bit of a miracle.  I mean when you think that these two babies share a placenta, are connected to each other via a placenta and in only 15% of these pregnancies does the balance get shifted off and the fluids become unbalanced, the transfer happens between two babies instead of just within each babies connection to the placenta...that is a miracle. 
Then there is the miracle of the lead up to TTTS.  Cole had very little of the placenta to live from and his cord was inserted poorly in the placenta...yet no one knew this because he did not show any signs of any distress because of it...that is a miracle.  A sign might have meant earlier intervention that would have been risky for Cameron.  The ultrasound that detected TTTS...was a miracle.  It wasn't supposed to happen. 
Countless miracles happened after TTTS too... severe fetal anemia was detected almost immediately after we learned Cole was gone and was treated inutero.  No brain or organ damage occured from that or the TTTS and loss of Cole.  My water broke at 26 weeks but I never went into labour... all very miraculous. 
But the physical miracle is not what really sits in my heart as being so absolutely amazing.  No, the truly miraculous part of my twin sons is what they have given me, taught me, done for me and others in their lives..and in Cole's death.  They truly are miraculous in the power of hope, the power of healing and the power of love.  I created two amazing little miracles and they have created miracles with every life they have touched, most especially mine. 
God gave me these two little miracles to change my life and maybe, so that I may change or impact others lives.  Today this song keeps running through my head and I wasn't sure why til I pulled up the words....



"God Gave Me You"


I've been a walking heartache
I've made a mess of me
The person that I've been lately
Ain't who I wanna be


my life was a mess before...heck there are days now that it seems to be too but I know I was shallow, inconsiderate and selfish....I wasn't who I wanted to be

But you stay here right beside me
Watch as the storm blows through
And I need you

Cause God gave me you for the ups and downs God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I've lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you
when I question myself as a parent I have this little boy with redish blond hair and hazel eyes who hugs on impulse...offers hugs to all who are willing...who shows me that I am the most important woman in his life.  When I wonder if I spend too much time helping other TTTS families I see the images I have to represent Cole...the picture of him and Cameron together....and I know that sometimes I am the only one who 'gets it' in someone's life and feel him guiding me to keep going...even when I type through tears as I remember him.... God gave me those boys...


There's more here than what were seeing
A divine conspiracy
That you, an angel lovely
Could somehow fall for me
You'll always be love's great martyr
And I'll be the flattered fool
And I need you
Maybe a bit of a romantic verse but the fact is that I feel this was a divine conspiracy.  My twin sons sat with Jesus and knew they job they had to do...and the jobs I had to do.  They fell for me and I for them the moment that I saw them on that ultrasound monitor.  I need them to keep me grounded and to remind of what is important, to help me find hope...
God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I've lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you
There were so many times after the loss that I felt like I was lost but just as often as not when I felt this way Cameron would wrap his arms around me or snuggle in and give me the love and life to two boys to keep me going.  Their love redirected me...
On my own I'm only
Half of what I could be
I can't do without you
We are stitched together
And what love has tethered
I pray we never undo
Our entire family is stitched together by the life of these little boys.  We have all learned so much from them.  My kids love Jesus and one reason is because they know Cole is with him.  They know Jesus because crisis, trial and loss lead us back to him. 
Cause God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I've lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it's true
God gave me you, gave me you
He gave me you


Happy Birthday sweet little miracles...I am so glad God gave me you!








2 comments:

  1. My name is Erin Jess Hall we dont know eachother a mutual friend Lisa Craddock shared this post with me. I was pregnant with two faternal twins. Baylie ( A ) and Gracie ( B ) . I felt a strange painful movement last week on thursday night and had to wake up walk around. The next day I called my midwife and she came to the house to listen to heart beats. We only found one ultra sound revealed Baylie had passed. I was 30 weeks along. They admitted me to the hospital I was there for week. Gave me beta streroid shot to boost lung development, my blood pressure went up ect... and little Gracie said its time for labor. I thankfully was able to deliver them vaginally however the moments leading up to it were so painful mindbending ect that I had to push out a live healthy baby and a dead one ahhhhhh.. I said a few well lots of cuss words when it was time to push out Baylie. we got to hold her for a few hours hubby and I cried. Gracie is soooooo strong doing well in the NICU she will be there for 8 weeks. I m so thankful to have one healthy little girl cant imagine the pain mothers go through when they have a singleton birth to not have any baby. So strange to be home without a baby here but I know she is in the best place possible. My mind keeps going to the dark side sometimes like Im broken I make dead babies I did something wrong did this happen to you?? How did you tell your son or did you?? I have so many questions for you I hope that is ok?? Been home for 2 nights now gave birth 5 days ago it all seems so surreal

    Thanks for sharing your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin - I am hoping that you are checking back here as I have no other way to contact you. Please email me at jodietummers@gmail.com
      I would love to help you, answer questions...offer whatever support I can. I even have some questions for you too. I am the admin of a facebook group for those who have lost one twin and would love to connect you with it too.
      I'll try to look you up on facebook but do hope you are able to connect with me somehow.
      Take care and please know that you aren't alone and that everything you are feeling is 'normal'. I can relate completely to delivering a living and non living baby... so bittersweet.
      Please stay in touch

      Delete